Lauki is not such a favorite vegetable at home. So I keep trying to mask it in spices and keep trying new recipes to eat this healthy low cal vegetable. I love koftas and lauki koftas are so much tastier and full of fibre than the ones with potato. You can deep fry the koftas or shallow fry them like i did to reduce the amount of oil used.
Bottle gourd dumplings in a tomato based gravy
Recipe Type: Main Course
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2-3 Servings
Ingredients:1 whole or 2.5 cups grated Lauki/Bottle gourd
4-5 Tbsp Besan / Gram flour
1" piece Ginger
5 cloves Garlic
2 medium Onions
2 medium Tomatoes
1/4 cup Almonds/ Cashew
2 Tbsp Milk
1/2 tsp Garam masala
1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
5-6 tsp Oil + Oil to fry koftas.
- Soak almonds in warm water and keep aside. You can use cashews instead.
- Peel and grate the lauki. Squeeze out as much water as you can from the lauki and keep the water aside to use later.
- Add the besan.
- Finely chopped half the ginger and 2 cloves of garlic and add to the lauki.
- Add a pinch of garam masala, salt and 1/2 tsp of chilli powder and mix well and shape into koftas.
- At this point, you can choose how to cook the koftas, you can deep fry them until golden brown or shallow fry them. I rarely deep fry, so I went ahead with shallow frying but in a paddu/gundpangla tava. So I needed less than 1 tsp per kofta. You can use a regular tava to shallow fry, however you may need to flatten the koftas a little bit.
- Fry them until golden brown and crisp.
- Heat2 tsp oil in a kadhai and add chopped onion and garlic.
- Fry until the onions are dark brown.
- Allow it to cool and then grind along with the ginger.
- Heat the remaining oil in the kadhai and add this onion paste.
- Fry for 1 min. Grind the tomatoes into a paste and add to kadhai.
- Add all the spices and salt and cook until oil separates or for 5-8 mins on low flame until the tomatoes are well cooked.
- Grind the almonds/ cashews with a little milk.
- Add the paste to the kadhai.
- Add the squeezed out lauki water.
- Add the koftas right before serving and cook for 2-5 mins.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.